A major project that has been undertaken by Eric Fuss is to produce summaries of the Burra Record, the local newspaper that was in circulation from 1876 to 8th March, 1977.

The summaries will mean that researchers will be able to do a query on almost any topic from 1876 to 1976.

Thus far the newspaper has been summarised to 1933 with some gaps that need to be read on microfilm as they are not available in hard copy.  Transcription of the summaries is currently up to 1903.        

Summaries are available to the general public for research purposes at the Burra Library.

 

 

 

Meredith Satchell has put together a data base of families who have lived in Burra over the years.  This is an ongoing project and its contents are immensely useful for those researching their family history.

The database is available to the general public for research purposes at the Burra Library.

 

 

 

Obituaries from the Burra Record (of which there are thousands) have been collected.  This is an ongoing project.

Those obituaries that have been collected are now available to the general public for research purposes at the Burra Library.

A selection of obituaries relating to Burra's Pioneers and Burra Notables can be found on our website.

 

 

 

Frank Treloar's work on the history of the mine and any other articles by him appearing in the Burra Record is currently being transcribed.

Frank Treloar was born at North Adelaide, June 1st, 1852 and died on September 16th, 1934 at his residence in Phillip Street, West Croydon.  He was the eldest son of one of the pioneers of SA, his parents having arrived in the South Australia in the early 1840s. 

Frank Treloar grew up in Watervale.  At age 14, he went to work for an auctioneer where he remained for four years.  At eighteen years of age, he moved to Hoyleton, where he went into the wheat trade.  At that time, Hoyleton was the shipping station for all wheat grown north of that town.  He married and then tried his hand at farming.  Unfortunately, he chose the dry areas near Orroroo.  After five years of fighting nature and losing all their money, Frank and his wife returned to Watervale. 

Upon his return, Frank acted as a wheat agent, but after six months he was appointed manager of Gum Creek station, which then comprised over 32,000 acres and between 100,000 and 130,000 sheep.  Frank and his family lived there for many years.  Eventually the Treloars moved to Burra.  During their nearly 30 year residence, Frank Treloar acted as Secretary for the Burra Burra Hospital, the Burra Agricultural Society, the Burra Sports Association, and was also clerk for a number of years for the Hanson District Council.  He also occupied a seat on the Burra Town Council and was one of the most consistent members of the Kooringa Masonic Lodge on whose roll his name occupies the second place.  He was also a member of the I.O. Oddfellow and A.O.F. Lodges.  The Treloar family left Burra in November of 1930, to reside in Croydon, however Frank kept in close contact with the town until his death in 1934.

Frank Treloar was a considered a "clever writer" and he wrote many articles for the Burra Record.  Upon his death, he left behind his widow, three sons and three daughters.

The works of Frank Treloar Burra’s first historian was finally officially unveiled on May 25, 2011 in the presence of 10 Treloar family members, including two of his grandsons.  It is available now available for purchase.